Technology radial forging
Automotive light-weight as driver of innovation!
- Suitable for cold, semi-hot and hot forming
- Oil- and emission-free forming without pre-treatment of materials
- High material use due to forming instead of machining
- Inner contours can be produced with the highest accuracy
- Incremental forming with high flexibility and diverse geometries with CNC technology
- Simple tool contour (typically not limited to one size of work piece)
- Short change-over times since all relevant forming parameters are fixed in the CNC part program
SKK Machine types
A selection from our machine range.
We develop specifically for your needs.
What do we offer?
- Initial evaluation of a part for suitability for radial forging
- Design of your components from the blank to the finished part
- Design of the corresponding forming tools including life-time estimation
- Performance and evaluation of forging trials
- Inspection of the parts for dimensional accuracies (incl. measuring record and capability evaluation)
- Preparation of trial reports with all essential forming information
What equipment do we have?
- SKK-10 / in configuration for typical automotive applications
- SKK-10 / in long-bed design for rod and pipe forging applications
- SKK-14 / in configuration for trucks and special applications
All machines can produce hollow and solid parts in cold, semi-hot and hot conditions. We are comprehensively equipped with chamber furnaces and induction facilities for this.
We produce for you.
On November 22nd, 2011, contract manufacturer Metalltechnik Menges GmbH and special machine builder GFM GmbH agreed on a technical cooperation.
Menges acquired a GFM radial forging machine of Type SKK-10 in August 2012 to produce customer parts based on contracts. 2 more forging machines of Type SKK-10/R followed in January 2016 and September 2018. All facilities are designed for cold, semi-hot and hot-forming.
This way, Menges produce workpieces for customers where the required quantity does not justify a new machine, while still offering the benefits of GFM forging technology. Menges thus takes care of contract processing on GFM machines that could not be offered before.
Both companies look into the future with great confidence and are happy to offer their customers the entire range of developments and prototype production, as well as new machines.
Hollow gear shafts on the rise!
- High weight-savings potential from hollows shaft design
- Hollow shafts that are closed on one or both sides can be produced
- Implementation of the inner contour in ‘net shape’- outer contour in ‘near-net shape’
- High forming degrees can be achieved in semi-hot forming
- Distinctively higher fatigue strength
- High economic efficiency even for small lot sizes
Chassis and drive train
Lower your energy and material consumption significantly!
Increasingly, 3-piece welded shafts are also being converted into so-called “monoblock shafts”, i.e. in one piece (so-called MTS). Significantly more than 10 million shafts per year are produced with increasing tendency by means of GFM radial forging. Hollow stabilizers with load-optimized wall thicknesses also have a large “lightweight potential” and are thus typical radial forged products.
- High dimension diversity with the shortest change-over times
- Best tooling life time due to partially use of cemented carbides
- No oil carry-over due to cooling with water instead of emulsion
- Excellent repeatability and therefore low QC efforts necessary
- Accurate pre-formed diameter for later-on gearing, thus no further cutting necessary
For more information on this, see Mubea.
EV rotor shafts
Electrifying the future!
The requirement for a compact design leads naturally to high material strength requirements. As a result, the formability is given only in semi-hot regime (about 700 – 850 degree C).
- Short-term feasibility analysis by application engineer
- Wide variety of geometries forged from simple blanks
- Freedom in design: multiple stepped inner and outer contours
- Near-term forging of prototypes on trial machines in the house